English Story

《纽约时报》总编辑阿布拉姆松被撤职

In a surprise move, the New York Times newspaper has announced that it has replaced executive editor Jill Abramson with immediate effect.

《纽约时报》出人意料地宣布,立即撤掉执行编辑吉尔·阿布拉姆松的职务。
 
Dean Baquet, 57, the paper's managing editor, has been named as the replacement.
 
Arthur Sulzberger Jr, chairman of the New York Times company, gave no specific reason, but spoke of an "issue with management in the newsroom".
 
Ms Abramson, 60, was appointed in 2011.
 
In a statement, she said: "I've loved my run at The Times. I got to work with the best journalists in the world doing so much stand-up journalism."
 
A spokeswoman rejected reports that there had been friction when Ms Abramson discovered her male predecessor had a more lucrative pay deal, saying that was incorrect. 
 
Mr Baquet, a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist who formerly edited the Los Angeles Times, will become the first African-American to lead the paper.
 
Shares in the company fell more than 4.5%, ending the day at $15.06.
 
The New York Times recently reported net income of $1.8m, and said that both print and advertising sales had grown for the first time in several years.
 
Also on Wednesday, Natalie Nougayrede, editor in chief of Le Monde, quit after a power struggle with senior staff.
 
In a letter, published on Le Monde's website, she wrote of "personal attacks" that impeded her plan to turn around the newspaper.